CONCOURS WINNING, EXCEPTIONALLY RESTORED MERCEDES-BENZ 190SL. RESTORATION OVERSEEN BY PARRY CHANA. 1ST PRIZE CONCOURS WINNER AT 50TH PARIS - DEAUVILLE CONCOURS D’ETAT FFVE FOR CONVERTIBLE VEHICLES.
DATE OF MANUFACTURE: 1960 | COLOUR: FIRE ENGINE RED DB534 | INTERIOR TRIM: LIGHT GREY LEATHER | PRICE: RESERVED
MODEL HISTORY & PRODUCTION
In 1954, Mercedes displayed a concept version of the 190SL at the New York Auto show alongside the 300SL ‘Gullwing’. This concept came to market in 1955 as the 190SL.
A more approachable, less intense sports car compared to the record-breaking 300SL Gullwing. While the 190SL featured a carburetted 1.9 litre in-line four cylinder engine compared to the 300SL’s direct-injected 3 litre slant six, they shared basic engine design, suspension system, and level of detail and craftsmanship which defined Mercedes-Benz.
The new engine, which shared the same bore and stroke of the 300SL, was paired with dual Solex carburettors and produced 120 horsepower. This powerplant was mated with a fully synchronized 4-speed transmission which sent power to the rear swing axle. The 190SL implemented the same suspension systems as the 300SL, albeit with a more stable low pivot point assembly, affording it confident handling and drivability without the tail-happy nature of the 300SL Gullwing.
The 190SL is immediately recognisable as a Mercedes-Benz, featuring dramatic curves and restrained use of brightwork that defined this era. Many styling cues are borrowed from the 300SL, notably the massive three-pointed star in the grille, head lamps, bumpers, dash, early 1955 190SL bucket seats and ‘eyebrows’ over the wheels.
While the 190SL did not quite offer the performance of other sports cars of the era, the impeccable quality and attractive styling made the 190SL a massive success – selling 25,881 units before production ceased in 1963. Many of these models were delivered to the United States, where its driving demeanour and elegant styling were highly valued.
Nevertheless, the factory did offer an option for the casual weekend racer: a Rennsport packaged 190SLR, which included options of an aero screen, cut down doors which one could convert, and bumpers removed to reduce weight. A Rennsport derived 190SL participated in the Mille Miglia, hence its eligibility today. Other notable achievements include a 1956 Macao Grand Prix victory for Doug Steane, and Mr W. Sulke’s SLR won the 1958 Rally of Hong Kong.
The 190SL is an important part of the culture of small roadsters in the 1950s, as it demonstrated how luxurious the platform could be. Now much sort after and highly collectable due to its unmistakeable ‘Style and Beauty’.
THIS ACTUAL CAR
This Mercedes-Benz 190SL comes out of an enviable and diverse collection, where each vehicle is passionately and carefully chosen and restored by its long term classic car collector.
First delivered to Mercedes-Benz main agent in Brentford, Middlesex England on 9th June 1960, with a manufacture completion date of 10th April 1960. An original green coloured Registration book exists showing the first owner as George William Jeffrey, with further V5’s showing three more owners. A well documented history file exists with extensive past and current restoration invoices.
Originally restored in the 1990s but has only 600 miles since the last full component off restoration overseen by Parry Chana, a marque specialist, former technical advisor and concours judge for The Mercedes-Benz Club UK, who also maintained the register for these models. He has overseen multiple concours award-winning restorations for himself and many well-known clients. His restorations have sold for world record prices, and this is, without doubt, one of the most exacting restorations conducted by him and his team. Final run down miles and final set up by Parry Chana.
Presented in the nicest period Fire Engine Red (DB534) exterior paintwork and Light Grey leather interior complimented by black mohair soft-top. A numbers matching car (except colour, but period correct original colour scheme) restored to a very high standard with all outer panels replaced strictly with ‘new old stock’ Mercedes-Benz items.
Every spot weld seen or unseen was done with the latest welding equipment and to the highest of original factory standards. Parry Chana remarks “In my opinion, these panels are just as good as an original panelled restoration, if not better, as the factory did not rust protect box sections”.
Period-correct Hella fog lights mounted to the front bumpers make for great long distance driving lights. A delightful Becker Europa period radio exists restored with modern internals and iPod connection, fitted to period single speaker and Heirshmann red tip manual aerial. An original Kienzle VDO 7-Day hand-wind clock is beautifully mounted to the glove box. Additionally supplied, is a recently restored matching correct for year large window hard top.
Driving is exceptional with ease of use and light steering aided by period correct modern 6.40 13 radial tyres. Original Solex PHH44 original carburettors restored and tuned to perfection by Parry Chana allows the car to drive as it was designed.
This vehicle will represent a good acquisition opportunity for a collector, investor or first time classic car buyer, as being a most desirable model reminiscent of the much valued 300SL Roadster and Gullwing coupe. It’s available for viewing in the UK near Stansted Airport on an appointment basis.
WARRANTY & FINANCE AVAILABLE
Lux Classics make every effort to ensure that the information contained on the website ("the Information") is accurate and complete. However, errors and omissions may occur from time to time and we are not able to guarantee the accuracy of the Information. Therefore, we cannot be held liable for any reliance which you place on the information. Lux Classics does not give any warranties in respect of the website or the Information or the goods and services available via the website and makes no representations as the fitness for a particular purpose of any goods or services available via the website.